Friday, June 4, 2010

Vanilla symphonie, a guest blog post

This is a contribution from Christina.

Vanilla symphonie

Berlioz and Tjajkovskij in one evening seems almost too overwhelming. And just as I had expected (and feared), the performance in DR Koncerthuset took me in completely. I didn't know Alice Sara Ott, and it turned out that I wasn't too keen on her, but thankfully, the music itself took over - and went straight in.



To have music played directly on your own heart strings is pretty painful, so I was glad that I could look foward to getting my strength back at M-bar, enjoying an excellent meal by 'Le chef' himself: Paul.


Paul's thing at the moment is vanilla. He opened the scene with a bold move, a juxtaposition of vanilla sauce and bitter orange 'marmelade' on a backdrop of white and green asparagus. Never tried that one before, and, just for the record, it was delicious.


Next dish was just as good, perhaps even slightly better: fresh and fiesty tatar married with crispy parmesan. I could have had 10 servings of that one without any hesitation.


Then came salmon. I got a bit confused here (a lot happening on the plate), although it was still totally scrumptious, and I tried to hide the fact that I finished it off first! mmm.


Ahhh, and then the comfort dish of beef with baby carrots and a sauce that was heavenly. The meat was soooo incredibly tender, and the sauce was rich and peppery and exactly right. Again, I couldn't help myself, and polished the whole lot off within a couple of minutes. If I had been at home, I would have cut some bread to scoop up every single last drop of the sauce.


Finally the dessert. Simple but exactly right.

In short, a meal and an evening that was absolutely 'fantastique'.

No comments: