Friday, December 19, 2008

A Julefrokost v5.0

Here's (hopefully) the last Julefrokost I had this year (see other post).

Not that I don’t like the food and the great company! It is because the snaps and beers are like Molotov cocktail for me and I can’t handle the day after :-/

Anyway, a few former colleagues and I head to Ida Davidsen restaurant, arguably the best Smørrebrød (open-faced sandwichs) restaurant in Denmark.

Literal translation of Smørrebrød is buttered bread... but in essence it's a slice of bread piled up with different meats, fish, veggies, cheeses and such.


Various smørrebrød

After this, I can say quite confident that nobody, and I mean nobody, makes a better smørrebrød in Denmark. This is a very cozy family restaurant in Copenhagen and the family has it for 2-3 generation. We eat couple of different stuff, and everything was great.

However, I need to stress that the smoked salmon (homemade) is the perfect food match for the aquavit, especially the one we had!


Niels Jørgen Kaiser - smørrebrød with homemade paté, bacon, mushrooms, horseradish and fond-jelly


Smørrebrød with sweet-and-sour fish


The duck :p


Kurt and Henrik skål-ing


At the other side, me and Kim. I hope Kim will give me a tip on the aquavit name.

For me, it’s amazing that Ida’s recipes seem so trivial, and yet once you taste her sandwiches, you just feel a pure delight.

Probably one should not specially head to Copenhagen for a smørrebrød, but if you are around, than this is a must!

Rating: 8.0 (out of 10.0)

Restaurant Ida Davidsen
Store Kongensgade 70
1264 København K

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ida Davidsen is definetely not the best smørrebrødsrestaurant in Denmark. They are famous due to the long history. But the quality is surpassed by many others, for example Slotskælderen Gitte Kik, Aamanns, Told & Snaps, Schønnemanns, Tivolihallen and Huusmanns.

The Idea said...

Thanks for the tip Ole. I'm looking forward to go in some of smørrebrødsrestaurants you have suggested.