Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Colza, arguably the best Teppanyaki restaurant I have ever had

Day 6, my last dinner in Tokyo this time around :-/
My next hop had me back to Osaka. I've already had a one-off experience today at Sushi Mizutani (see other post), so I've been... well a bit reluctant with my expectations. Nevertheless, after a while, my early reluctance had turned to excitement!

Rie told me this place is considered as one of the better Teppanyaki restaurants in Tokyo. I'm definitely a fortunate guy; this was the 2nd trip in my life to Japan, and I've already checked out a handful topnotch restaurants in Tokyo :-D

In addition, this was my chance to sample Matsuzaka beef (there are rumors that it is even more delicious than Kobe beef). Anyway, this is relatively big place with a few rooms, the service is very friendly and the atmosphere is quite casual. I guess the Teppanyaki grilling table looks familiar to most of you. There are a couple of fixed menus with a few options to add or chose from. There were already couple of other guest on the table so the grill was hot and the cooking began immediately.


A quite hardworking chef who actually is fluent in English :)


The chef baking shiitake (mushrooms) and grating potatoes


The chef preparing the grated potatoes with butter
Shiitake (right)
Kidney bean (bottom)


Scallops


Abalone


The biggest lobster in the house, on my request :-D


Seems to be shrimps... but not for sure - ask Rickard for more info :)


Something...


Top: garlic chips
Up-right: kidney bean and shiitake
Bottom-right: grilled grated potatoes
Bottom-left: Miyazaki beef (filet)

The Outcome
I've sampled Miyazaki beef and it's absolute beef heaven. Only thing comparable or more tender is Kobe beef (see other post). Everything we had was delicious and... simply incredible. As it turned out, this was one of the best Teppanyaki restaurant I have ever had! Not only our chef took a great care to create a unique flavor for every dish; it's also a great fun being there. It cost us about 160€ per person, including beer and sake.

Rating: 9.2 (out of 10.0)

Just like Sushi Mizutani and Kyubey, eating here has shaken and change my perception of food. Actually, I've already plan my next trip to Japan!

PS. I'll try to add some interesting video soon as I can.

Colza
Ginza Nogakudo bldg, B1
6-5-15, Ginza, Chuo-ku
Tokyo, 104-0061

No comments: