Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sushi Mizutani - Is the best sushi in the world?!

Continuing with my Japan trotting, on Day 6, thanks to Rie, I got reservations at lunch time for Sushi Mizutani. The Tokyo Michelin Guide 2008 awarded Sushi Mizutani three stars.

A tiny restaurant, can accommodate only 10 people seated around the counter, and sushi master Mizutani him self in the middle.

The atmosphere in the restaurant is quite formal and we’ve been asked not to wear any perfumes… Some trivia, sushi master Mizutani worked previously at Sukibayashi Jiro, the other three Michelin stars sushi restaurant in Tokyo. This for sure makes him one of the best sushi chefs in Japan.

I would never be able to locate this humble restaurant in Ginza, on a small street, in the basement level.





We were genially greeted by the master Mizutani and as first arriving customers, we were allowed to take few pictures.



Of course, we order “omakase” the chef’s choice. The order had move from non-fatty to fatty sushi or sashimi and than finish up with an omelet and a maki roll, unleashing my five senses. Some of the sushi pieces we had:

  • Karei (Japanese flounder, flat fish): first time I've ever had. It has semi-transparent meat, very delicate sweetens, subtle scent, refreshing feeling.
  • Kawahagi (File fish, skinpeeler): first time I've ever had. Served with the liver on top. Isn't fishy and it has a light flavor. Intense sweetness from the soft liver.
  • Uni (Sea urchin): Gunkanmaki. This yellowish delicacy, the moment I've placed it in my mouth, the rich sweetness has filled my senses. Buttery after taste.
  • Aoyagi (Japanese orange clam): Concentrate umami and texture. Each time I chewed the soft meat, more flavor is released.
  • Maguro (Bluefin Tuna): Sweet and acidic. Perfect.
  • Chutoro (Bit-fatty belly from Bluefin Tuna): Just perfect, melting in my mouth.
  • Otoro (Fatty upper belly from Bluefin Tuna): Melt-in-my-mouth texture, major umami factor, absolutely ridiculous. I never tasted anything like this in my life!



In a nutshell, it cost us about 110€ per person, including green tea. This is one of absolute best sushi experience for me, in a comparison for everything I've had before, inside or outside of Japan, save aside sushi Kyubey (see other post).

Rating: 9.8 (out of 10.0)

Next time I'm around, I'll go back.

Sushi Mizutani
Ginza Seiwa Silver Bldg. B1F
8-2-10 Ginza, Chuo-ku
Tokyo

No comments: