Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Infamouse Kobe Beef

My next hop had me staying 1 night in Kobe, the Beef Capital. My hotel was close to the "Shin-Kobe" station where I've arrived by Shinkansen (Bullet Train). Emi already made reservation at "Grill de Kobe", where the highest grades (A5 and A4) of Kobe beef is available. Beef are grilled over a charcoal flame and I guess this is the best way to experience Kobe beef.

By the way, I guess everyone heard the stories of the luxury lives of the Kobe cows: the massage, the beer...







The restaurant is not very big, but it has a cozy and warm atmosphere and the smell was absolutely... well inviting. I've got an English menu because the number of foreigners living in Kobe is substantial; nevertheless I still had a big question mark above my head how and what to order. After an extensive consultation with Emi, I've made a conscious decision :-D



I had a Kobe beef plate (from the upper left) eggplant pomodoro, okra, potato and corns, pickles of yam, radish, paprika, (middle) Kobe beef stake (special filet) with watercress and garlic chips. As I looked for wine matches, I was playing with the idea of a beef with an Bordeaux, but finally I went for the Barolo. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had Chateau Margaux on the wine list.
 
And my conclusion is: nothing tastes like it! The way it melts in your mouth, juiciness and moist is unbelievable. The wine earthiness, some spicy tar, fresh tannins with a long finish and the elegant texture worked perfectly and sent me into ecstasy.



For about about 120€ per person, including wine, it is definitely place worth visiting! I hope next time I'll have a chance to taste Matsuzaka, as there are rumors that it is even more delicious than Kobe beef!

Rating: 9.0 (out of 10.0)

Grille de Kobe
Taishin Sunset Bldg. 5F,
2-5-1 Kita Nagasa-dori,
Chuo-ku, Kobe-shi
Hyogo 650-0012

No comments: