Thursday, November 20, 2008

My thoughts on Truffles

Mysteriously, the first time I ever ate a truffle was around 18 years ago in Singapore, at the French restaurant. I had a cooked chicken with a truffle-butter sauce…

As the story goes, one bite is all it takes; you ether love it or hate it. Not so, at lease not in my case anyway. A few years after, I had a foie gras with black truffles on toast. This time around, one bite and I was hooked.

Since then I've been fortuned to eat black and white truffles, in different restaurants, in variety of dishes. Also cooking my favorite recipes, but always using truffle products like truffle oil, paste, butter, truffle juice and such, until recently!


I found a good supplier in Denmark and I've start to use fresh tartufo. I've tried smashed potatoes with truffle, pasta tossed in truffle oil with shaved truffles, truffle risotto…


I've even both a retro truffle shaver :-D

Here's some home made dishes.


Ravioli tossed in truffle oil and shaved truffles


Beef with truffle (unfortunately not a Kobe beef)


Ready for scrambled eggs with winter truffle

By my opinion Tartufo is a sublime ingredient, a delicate and sexy. Truffles infuse their odor and flavor to everything around them, and they work perfectly with submissive and agreeable ingredients.

In short the truffle always take the center stage and work its magic!

No comments: