Monday, November 10, 2008

Summer 2008 - Part I

I had two great summer trips to Balkan; one to Hvar, Croatia, and one to Skopje, Macedonia. By the way, Skopje is my home town.

I went to Hvar with my family from Skopje, a full house! We meet in Split and continue together on a ferryboat. The first impression has been strange, mainly because I've already been there... some 20 years ago... so things have changed... a lot...

Hvar is gourmet place, so they have a fantastic range of vine, extra-virgin olive oils, sundried tomatoes, pickled vegetables, prsuto, etc. Of course they also have a fantastic sea food! In center of Hvar, one can find lovely local farmers and fisherman market which is packed with goodies. So much nicer and more fun than shopping at the supermarket!

I've sampled lots of different seasonal food and vine and everything is infused with lovely flavors. So, I'll focus on grilling at home as it is beautiful and simple summer food and requires a small effort on the part of the cook.


Home made wine...


Sea Bream, Snapper and Bass


Mussels with rice and white wine


Rock Lobster


Rock Lobster


Oysters


Final result


Wild strawberries

All in all, fantastic trip. Been together with my family on holiday has invoked some beautiful memories from my childhood, and we had couple of fun grill parties.

Looking forward for more - next year!

No comments: